Temporary Construction Fencing
Most states and countries have laws which require construction worksites to be kept isolated so that the common man is not inconvenienced in any way. To ensure compliance to these rules and regulations, Temporary Construction Fencing are generally used to cordon off a construction worksite. But there are specific rules which govern the setting up of these fences, and these rules need an in-depth understanding of the:
- Design and the process of construction of the temporary fence,
- Space that needs to be cordoned off and the place where the fence is scheduled to be put up,
- Effect the temporary fence set up will have on the traffic surrounding it,
- The strength of the fence and the height to which it is slated to be constructed,
- Signages that it is supposed to display in order to prevent casualties and fatalities etc.
Type of temporary fence to be installed
While the construction companies generally take the paperwork care, the actual installation of the temporary construction fence rental is done by companies like diamondprovides.com who are:
Proficient in the installation of all types of temporary fences and
Have the required license and permissions in place to work in the relevant state or country.
However, the type of fence to be constructed depends on the choice of the construction company owners and its management. It has been generally seen that for small projects and residential houses, open fencing in the form of an aluminum cyclone temporary fence is used. These fences are covered using a construction wrap especially during the excavation and demolition stage since they:
- Help to ensure dust and debris stay within its perimeter and
- Provide extra bracing by acting as a sail on a particularly windy day.
While the use of barbed wire or its extensions is banned, the bottom of the fence should come equipped with dog bars to prevent the entry of dogs and other animals and babies small enough to squeeze through. Since the construction worksite is a hazard-prone zone, dogs, babies, and other stray people and animals should stay well away from it.
- The other type of fencing that is used is known as solid fencing or hoarding. This type of temporary fence uses stable and self-supporting panels erected using either.
- Their own supports or by getting attached to scaffolding or a protective structure constructed overhead.
- This type of temporary fencing is a common feature of all large construction projects or those projects which are located in places with heavy pedestrian traffic.
- The most significant advantage of this type of temporary fence is that there are no dangerous protrusions like nuts and bolts sticking out of the fence.
The necessity of using temporary fence
There are several benefits to using temporary fences around construction worksites like:
It is a way of confining the demolition, excavation and the process of actual construction and creating a barrier around it thereby reducing its negative impact on its surroundings. It helps to prevent trespassers from gaining unauthorized access to these worksites.
It helps to protect the common public from emergencies and casualties which might occur when and if they enter the construction worksite without sporting the proper gear and other paraphernalia as demanded by the safety, security and health rules of a state or a country.
It also sends out a signal warning people of an on-going construction project thereby ensuring that pedestrians and vehicle owners also keep a safe distance from the workplace.
Carrying out the actual fencing
Several rules are governing the actual construction of the temporary fence. These rules pertain to the following:
It should cover the whole perimeter of the construction worksite especially in those places where there is public access. It should provide for access in a way that the access does not pose any threat or hazard to either pedestrians or traffic.
The temporary fence constructed should in no way hamper the line of sight for motorists, traffic lights, crossings, pedestrians, cars entering or exiting the worksite.
It should sport the required signages and other management devices for pedestrians and traffic to caution people and prevent them from suffering any casualties or pains.
A 1.5 meters gap in-between the temporary fence and the road have to be kept so that pedestrians can walk.
The gates and other entry or exit points should have doors which swing inwards.
Proper signages need to be installed in the entry and exit gates for traffic to enter and leave the premises safely.
Loading and unloading of commercial vehicles need to be done within the property; hence ample space should be set aside for the same.
The height of the fence should ideally be between 1.8 meters and 2 meters tall.
If the construction worksite fence has to go through land belonging to the council, special permission needs to be taken to install the temporary fence.
Certain special provisions also have to be maintained and implanted because of this so that the safety and security of the worksite are not compromised in any way.