How To Ensure A Clean, Hygienic Job-site Portable Toilet
Construction worksites are the best places to install portable toilets. They are generally situated in places which as yet have no connection to either the city water supply or the sewerage system. Thus till such time as these connections are facilitated, sanitary needs have to be taken care of using these portable toilets. There are basically two reasons for the installation of these portable toilets. They are as follows:
- There are no suitable toilets and restrooms in the vicinity of the construction worksite and
- The toilets and restrooms present nearby are not enough to cater to the needs of all the people working at the construction worksite.
In fact it is very easy to get them installed for they are light weight enough to be transported on vehicles from their places of storage to their place of usage and can also be easily assembled and dismantled. Most installed toilets generally have a toilet, a flush, a toilet paper dispenser and a urinal. The presence or absence of the urinal determines whether it is exclusively meant for men or women. However, today unisex toilets have gained popularity since they are able to cater to both men and women.
Number of restrooms to be rented
For construction worksites wherein the space is less, single units are most appropriate while large construction projects need the installation of restroom trailers which are a collection of 7 or more single toilet units. These trailers are able to service more people at the same time and also help to reduce queues in front of the same. Generally speaking most construction companies use the following chart to calculate the number of restrooms or toilets that need to be installed. The number of work hours is taken to be either 8 hours a day or 40hours a week. Thus, if the number of workers ranges between:
- 1 and 10, 1 toilet should ideally suffice,
- 11 and 20 then 2 toilets need to be installed,
- 31 to 40, it becomes mandatory to have 4 toilets and
- For over 40 workers 4 toilets have to be installed and additionally there has to be 1 toilet installed for every 10 workers.
Most units might come attached with or without a water storage unit for flushing. Chemical flushing is also enabled in some units and the choice of the same depends on the construction jobsite managers who ultimately place the orders. It has been seen that if there are adequate number of restrooms installed, cleanliness is automatically maintained.
The fact that these portable toilets are very easy to maintain is perhaps its biggest advantage. One way to ensure clean and hygienic sanitary facilities is to go in for a maintenance contract with the company renting out the portable toilets like https://diamondprovides.com/ . Thus it becomes their duty to ensure that:
- The toilet is regularly cleaned with the frequency of the same depending on the usage,
- The walls and floors are washed and cleaned,
- The soap dispensers and the toilet paper dispensers are never empty,
- The toilet keeps smelling fresh and clean by ensuring that the deodoriser is kept filled,
- It is pumped regularly to ensure proper disposal of human wastes.
In case the maintenance of the portable toilet is taken care of by the construction company authorities, the following points have to be kept in mind.
- Irrespective of the usage, it is always better to clean the portable toilet atleast once a week to prevent the accumulation of organic matter which then becomes the breeding ground of disease causing allergens and pathogens.
- It is very important to establish a schedule for the pumping of the portable toilets so that the formation of bad odour can be prevented. But when the pumping out is being carried out, care must be taken to ensure that sewage or wash water is not released into creeks or storm drain systems, if present. Of course, if the portable toilet is situated on dirt mound, the waste water can be allowed to drain into the soils provided there is no way of it reaching any ditch, creek, storm inlet drain or pavement etc.
- Wastewater needs to be disposed of either into the
- Sanitary sewer present in the construction worksite or
- Into a holding tank for disposal into a sewer at an approved location at a convenient time.
- Trash needs to be removed and discarded into garbage before actually cleaning the toilet.
- In order to enable sanitary sewer disposal, a one-time permit for discharge needs to be acquired from the concerned government agency.
In fact almost all states have rules and regulations which state that employers need to ensure clean and hygienic sanitary facilities to their employees. If this is not maintained, the construction company is liable to face changes and fines.